What is intense pulsed light (IPL)therapy?
Intense pulsed light (IPL) devices are non-laser high intensity light sources that make use of a high-output flashlamp to produce a broad wavelength output of noncoherent light, usually in the 500 to 1200nm range.
Benefits of IPL
Intense pulsed light (IPL) or flashlamp therapy is a non-invasive and non-ablative treatment to improve the appearance of the following skin problems:
- Vascular lesions including spider angiomas, port wine stains,rosacea
- Skin discolouration-Light pulses targeted at the melanin in the skin’s surface which heats and destroys melanin to remove the discolouration.
- Facial lines and wrinkles
- Removal of unwanted dark hair-Light pulses targeted at the hair follicle causing the hair to fall out and prevent further growth.
- The procedure of rejuvenating aged skin is referred to as photorejuvenation and photofacial and requires a series of IPL treatments.
- IPL may also be helpful for mild to moderate acne and stretch marks.
IPL Photofacial is an ideal treatment for skin problems ranging from redness, light acne scars and rosacea to broken capillaries and hyper pigmentation.
A photofacial, is a 30-minute procedure in which intense pulses of light are used to penetrate deep into the skin.
IPL photorejuvenation : The working basis of the IPL rests on the principle of selective photothermolysis, in which thermally mediated radiation damage is confined to chosen epidermal and/or dermal pigmented targets at the cellular or tissue structural levels.
The procedure involves only minimal discomfort, while the redness and swelling that sometimes occur after treatment disappear shortly. Most benefits of a photofacial/fotofacial occur gradually in the weeks following treatment.