Also called soft-tissue fillers, dermal fillers, soft-tissue augmentation
As we age, our skin loses its youthful fullness. Fillers help to restore lost fullness to the face, lips, and hands.
Dermal fillers are used for-
- Smoothing away wrinkles and folds around the mouth and nose(nasolabial fold)
- Volumising the lips
- Softening and reducing facial lines across the forehead and around the eyes
- Defining and restoring volume to the cheeks
- Shaping and contouring to remove visible signs of aging
- Lines from the mouth to the chin (melomental fold)
- Lines above the upper lip
- in some situations, under the eyes
Restylane ® is a clear, non-animal-based, biodegradable gel that is composed of hyaluronic acid, which occurs naturally in the body.
Types of Restylane:
There are several types of Restylane® fillers, each of which addresses a unique cosmetic concern. Your doctor will help you decide which type is best suited to your needs and goals.
Restylane® Touch is intended especially to correct fine lines and wrinkles.
Restylane® Perlane can correct deep lines, folds, and wrinkles. Restylane® Perlane is also the Restylane® filler recommended for use in adding fullness to lips.
Restylane® SubQ is a NASHA (Non-Animal Stabilized Hyaluronic Acid) based gel that instantly adds volume to the face. It is most often used to contour the cheeks and chin
Juvéderm® is made from biocompatible, biodegradable materials and contains Hyaluronic Acid, which replaces the naturally existing substance in your skin that repairs damaged tissue.
There are different types of Juvéderm®:
Juvéderm® For Lips fills in lip lines and wrinkles whilst hyaluronic acid attracts and retains moisture. Results can last up to a year.
Juvéderm® VOLUMA® with Lidocaine, replenishes lost skin volume to regain a youthful curve to the cheeks and can be used to enhance the overall shape of your face.
Juvéderm® Hydrate™ helps attract and hold moisture within the skin to restore a healthy natural glow.
How long will Restylane and Juvederm last?
Depending on the area treated, your skin, and the injection technique, these fillers will last 4 to 6 months. In some cases duration of the effects can be a bit shorter or longer. Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane are thicker and last approximately 6-9 months
Are Restylane and Juvederm painful?
Anaesthetic cream is applied prior to procedure and it should stay on skin for 30-40 minutes
What are the possible medical side effects of dermal fillers?
- If you’ve previously had cold sores around the mouth (facial herpes simplex) , the treatment might provoke an outbreak.
- Do not use dermal fillers if you are pregnant or nursing because these products have not been tested for safety in pregnancy or nursing.
What are the possible cosmetic side effects?
- You may have swelling for 24-72 hours, especially with injections in the lips.
- The first time you try dermal fillers, avoid planning social events for 48 hours post-treatment.
- After the treatment some common injection-related reactions might occur, such as swelling, redness, pain, itching, discoloration and tenderness at the injection site. These typically resolve spontaneously within 2 to 10 days.
- The results from dermal fillers can last 2 to 9 months. The longevity of these products is variable and each individual may obtain a different result.
- Mild bruising or a slight blush might appear at the injection site immediately following treatment and may last for 2-10 days.
- The use of anti-inflammatory drugs or aspirin will almost always cause bleeding or increased bruising at the injection site.